Changzhou, located in southern Jiangsu in the middle of the Yangtze River
Delta, extends from 31°09' to 32°04' north latitude and
119°08' to 120°12' east longitude. With Taihu Lake and Wuxi on the east,
Nanjing and Zhenjiang on the west, it borders Wuxi of Jiangsu and Xuancheng of
Anhui on the south and the Yangtze River on the north.
In 2013, the population was stable. At the end of the year, the registered
population was 3.6591 million, up 0.3% over 2012. There are 1.8186 million men
and the ratio of males to females is 98.8:100.
Divisions】 At the end of 2013, Changzhou
administered the two county level cities of Jintan and Liyang, and the five
districts of Wujin, Xinbei, Tianning, Zhonglou, and Qishuyan which are divided
into 37 towns and 21 sub-districts.
and mineral resources】 At the end of 2014, the total area
was 438,500 hectares including 361,800 hectares of land, 73,300 hectares of
water and 148,200 hectares of arable land.
In 2013, the annual average temperature of Changzhou was slightly higher than
normal. The sunshine duration was
slightly longer and the annual precipitation was slightly less. Severe weather
mainly included cold waves, long periods of rain,
snowstorms, rainstorms, strong winds, high temperatures, as well as fog and
haze. Strong convective weather and heavy rainfall were less than usual.
In 2013, the average annual temperature was 17.1℃,
higher than usual. Throughout the year, March, July and August experienced
unusually high temperatures, 1.5℃, 3.2℃,
and 3.5℃ higher respectively. The temperature
of December was 0.5℃ lower than
usual. The rest of the months were 1 ℃ higher than
In 2013, the annual rainfall was 881.9 mm, 222.1 mm less than usual.
and Culture】Changzhou's (常州)
ancient name is Yanling. With a history of 3,000 years, it was also named
Piling, Pitan, Jinling, Changchun, Wujin, and Changzhou (尝州)
which is a homonym of (常州), and others. In the late Spring and
Autumn Period (547 BC), Jizha, the fourth son of the King of Wu, Shoumeng, was
granted the land of Yanling by the King.
In the fifth
year of Emperor Gaozu in the Western Han dynasty (202 BC), it was renamed
Piling. In the second year of Taikang of Emperor Wu in the Western Jin Dynasty
(281 AD), the “Diannong Xiaowei” (a prefecture chief in feudal China) was
abolished and Pilin County was set up to dominate 7 counties. These were Dantu, Qu’e, Wujin, Yanling,
Piling, Jiyang and Wuxi. After this, Changzhou had been dominated by Jun, Zhou,
Lu and Fu (County or State in feudal China). In the ninth year of Kaihuang of
Emperor Suiwen (589 AD), it got its present name Changzhou. In the fourth year
of Yongzheng in the Qing dynasty (1726 AD), Changzhou Fu managed eight
counties, namely Wujin, Yanghu, Wuxi, Jinkui, Yixing, Jingxi, Jiangyin and
Jingjiang, and was known as the "Famous City of Eight Counties".
after the Xinhai Revolution (the Revolution of 1911), the Changzhou government
was abolished. Yanghu County was merged into Wujin County and the urban area,
once named Wujin City, was renamed Changzhou under the administration of the
Jiangsu province. On April 23, 1949 after the liberation of Changzhou,
Changzhou and Wujin became a city and county respectively. In 1953, Changzhou
was promoted to be a provincially administered city.
of the City】City Tree:
Flower: Chinese Rose